How does the e:HEV hybrid system operate?
It comprises two compact electric motors connected to an Atkinson-cycle 1.5-litre DOHC i-VTEC petrol engine, a lithium-ion battery and an innovative fixed-gear transmission via an intelligent power control unit, which all work harmoniously together to provide a smooth and direct response
The e:HEV set-up includes three interchangeable drive modes, automatically selected for the driving conditions:
• EV Drive: the lithium-ion battery supplies power to the electric propulsion motor directly
• Hybrid Drive: the engine supplies power to an electric generator motor, which in turn supplies it to the electric propulsion motor
• Engine Drive: the engine is connected directly to the wheels via a lock-up clutch when the system recognises that driving the wheels directly with the engine is the most fuel efficient drive mode
How are hybrid driveline components integrated without impacting on interior space?
Hybrid drivetrain components are cleverly integrated into the chassis and within the engine bay:
• The fuel tank is positioned in the centre of the chassis beneath the front seats, to maximise cabin room - this enables the Jazz to retain the exceptionally versatile rear Magic Seat configuration that offers both fold-flat or flip-up seat flexibility, depending on load space required
• The electric motors (propulsion motor and generator), and power control unit (PCU) are integrated into the engine compartment
• The high voltage battery is located beneath the floor at the rear to ensure there is no impact on cargo space.
What are the key features of the styling of the Honda Jazz?
• The unusually smooth exterior surface treatment and sleek front face are key to achieving a sophisticated visual balance, with all the different exterior surfaces, including the C-pillars and rear combination lamps, blended together, devoid of any lines
• The recognisable monoform shape of the Jazz is enabled by the raked A-pillars
• Visibility is enhanced by halving the thickness of the A-pillars - horizontal visibility is increased to 90 degrees
How have you managed to include such thin A-pillars?
The sleek A-pillar design is enabled by greatly improved torsional rigidity and new structural technologies that move impact forces towards the front quarter light and door pillar
Why is interior comfort so important for the Jazz?
Jazz has historically had a reputation for offering excellent interior spaciousness and comfort